Sixth Grade started out very differently. A new school, new people, a whole new schedule and routine.
The transition from Fifth to Sixth Grade was a difficult yet memorable one. With events such as Hurricane Ike and the
2008 Presidential Elections, I was given the opportunity to take my time, ease in to the new environment, and get to know
my fellow peers and teachers.
Just as I was settling in, I contracted Viral Meningitis and was admitted to Texas Children's Hospital for over a week.
Being isolated and kept away from everyone was very hard on me. With the support of my MOM, friends, librarians
at Harris County Freeman Library; all of whom who prayed for me and sent me cards to brighten my days; and the wonderful doctors,
nurses, and volunteers at Texas Children's Hospital; who took such good care of me and brought me books to read from the Pi
Beta Phi Library; I had a full recovery. I'm so fortunate to have had all these great people by my side.
This experience in my 6th grade year had changed me for the better and I had come to fully appreciate all the joy and happiness
life really brings. A miracle was all it took, and I saw my life with a new vision, a different perspecitve. With
all the amazing wonders I had experienced in the short amount of time, I wanted others to be filled with the same joy, hope,
and courage that has overtaken me time and time again. I wanted to give back to my community.
Projects Inside of School:
- In 2008, I joined the Westbrook Chess Club and won 1st Place in the 1st Chess Tournament that I went to. Ever
since, I have been winning in numerous local, regional, scholastic, and state chess tournaments.
- Starting Middle School, I joined the Westbrook Orchestra and played Viola. I have been 1st chair Viola and have
participated in Solo and Ensemble Contest (where I won 1st) and UIL Orchestra (Westbrook Orchestra won 1st).
- In 2010, I participated in Science Fair and won 2nd Place in Behavioral Science at my school and 4th Place in the CCISD
District. In 2011, once again, I participated in the Science Fair and won 2nd Place in Behavioral Science at my school
and 2nd Place in the CCISD District.
- Being the Team Captain of the Westbrook Intermediate Team, I led our team to victory! We won 1st Place in the entire
CCISD District, got the trophy, and had our names put on a plaque which sits in the CCISD Main Office.
- By Participating in the DUKE TIP Talent Search, I was identified as a State Recognized Scholar and recognized at the State
Recognition Ceremony at Lamar University.
- I was selected to be on the Westbrook Future Problem Solving Team. Our team won at the city-level competition and
qualified for State! In Dallas, at the state competition, our team won 1st place in th Presentation of Action Plan!
- I took part in the National Harper Teens Story Writing Contest posted on the website. Out of all the participants,
I placed as a finalist!
- I applied to Science Technology Engineering Mathematics (STEM) Residential Camp at Texas A&M University. I was
one of the 50 people selected to attend the week-long camp. It was a great experience and I even got a stipend at the
end of the camp!
- I got accepted into Clear Horizons Early College (CHECHS) Program!
Mini-Courses and Clubs I'm Involved In:
- Future Problem Solving (Genetics and Engineering) Minicourse
- Advanced Chess
- Advanced Photoshop
- Numb3rs (Solving Crimes with Math)
- Game Board Design
- Trivial Pursuit
- Creative Writing
- Westbrook Orchestra
- Westbrook Chess Club and Team
- Westbrook Eco-Club
- Westbrook Reading Rumble Team
- Westbrook Future Problem Solving Team
Projects and Happenings Outside of School:
- I started learning how to play Tennis. I'm working on becoming a Tennis pro!
- As a Junior, I earned my Bronze Award by making craft bags and delivering them to Texas Children's Hospital! As
a Cadette, I am working towards my Silver Award by having donated 300 Books to the Texas Children's Pi Beta Phi Library.
- I love giving back to my community, so I have volunteer over the summer (2008-2011) at the Harris County Clear
Lake Freeman Branch Library. I have registered children for the summer reading program, helped make various crafts,
and given aid in many children's programs.
- I volunteer in the NASA Robotics Programming Children's Camp (Summer 2010, 2011) which is held at the Harris County Clear
Lake Freeman Branch Library.
- I have tutored children of different ages in the subjects of Math, English, and Science. With this experience,
I have learned teaching and communication skillls.
- In my spare time, I also baby-sit for people in my community. It has taught me to be responsible and efficient in
Extra-Curricular Activities Outside School:
- Girl Scouts (Troop 7130)
- Piano (Music Scholarship)
- Computer Programming
- Chess (Chris Land)